Home / Home / The Effects of Mold in Your Home and Why You Need to Remove Them

The Effects of Mold in Your Home and Why You Need to Remove Them

The coronavirus is ravaging our social and economic lives. As a containment measure, we are all being asked to stay at home.

But what if there’s danger in your house?

The truth is, nearly every apartment has mold. And yes, mold can grow at any moist place whether wood, carpet, food or paper.

Mold exposure can cause a variety of health effects to people. Some of the symptoms include:

  1. A Stuffy Nose, Red or Itchy Eyes

According to Environmental Protection Agency, molds produce allergens and irritants. If a sensitive person touches the mold or its spores, they may develop allergic reactions.

Allergic reactions include fever-type symptoms like a running nose, red eyes, sneezing, or skin rashes. Further, the spores can irritate the eyes, nose, skin, throat, and lungs of a sensitive person.

  1. May Cause Asthma

The common health effects associated with mold exposure include asthma, allergic reactions, and other respiratory diseases. A recent study shows that children who are exposed to mold at their early ages are likely to develop asthma.

  1. May Cause Respiratory Tract Infection

Research by the Institute of Medicine in 2004 found compelling evidence to link exposure to mold with cough, wheeze, and upper respiratory tract infections in healthy adults. The effects may be severe to people with asthma or hypersensitive pneumonia.

What Happens if You Notice These Conditions?

Consult your primary care doctor for treatment. At times, the doctor may recommend you to a specialist.

It is important to note that there’s no blood test for mold reaction. Some doctors might do an allergen test to determine whether you’re allergic to mold or not.

The doctor has the necessary training and experience to determine the allergens leading to these symptoms. With this, your doctor will advise you on the best treatment plan.

The treatment plan will include the necessary steps to prevent contact with allergens.

How to Remove Mold from Your Home?

Yes, your house is infested by mold. Your next step should be safely removing the mold from your home. Start by choosing the effective and easiest method to execute this plan.

Dry fog utilizes a non-toxic chemical that covers every surface and crevice in your house. Since the chemical is non-toxic, the technique is safer for people and humans.

How Do You Keep Mold Away from Your Home?

You have seen the devastating impacts of mold in your house. Further, you have tried to remove mold from your house.

The next step is to ensure mold doesn’t attack your home anymore. Here’s how to make your home inhospitable to mold.

  • Fix any water leakage in your home. Also, remove any excess water on any surface in your home. A fan may help you dry the area.
  • Repair or replace leaking windows as moisture may collect on the frame leading to the growth of mold.
  • Use air conditioners and dehumidifiers to maintain low humidity levels at home.
  • Avoiding carpeting the bathroom, basement, and laundry rooms.
  • Ensure your home is well ventilated.
  • Don’t pile wet clothes or towels in a laundry hamper.

Check Also

Understanding the Modest Living of Celebrities

Have you been looking for a new home? Can’t decide what type of home to ...